For many people, one of the first things that come to mind when thinking about braces is all of the food you can’t eat during your treatment. With having to avoid foods like popcorn, gum, and tough meats, it can seem like there’s not much left you can eat with braces.
But don’t get discouraged! Even though it’s important to eat foods that won’t damage your orthodontic appliance, there is still plenty of yummy foods that you can enjoy with braces:
- Cut-up fruits and vegetables. You can also try steaming vegetables to make them softer.
- Softer fruits, such as tangerines and grapefruit
- Dairy products
- Cooked pasta and rice
- Soft breads, such as tortillas, muffins, and pancakes
- Desserts, including ice cream, smoothies, and applesauce
- Soft meats, such as chicken, turkey, and lunch meats
Wearing braces can bring lots of new and difficult changes to your lifestyle, and while it may be difficult to adjust to a new diet regimen, it doesn’t mean you have to go without some of your favorite foods. By eating the right foods, you can help keep your orthodontic treatment on track.
If you have any questions or concerns about living with braces, we invite you to contact Helm Orthodontics at 303.371.0371. Dr. Dr. Nathan Helm, our dentist in Denver, Colorado, will be happy to help answer your questions.